Dal Makhani is a delicious renowned dish of our Indian Cuisine. There is no dhaba or restaurant in Punjab that does not serve this dal. Here i am sharing my personal homemade recipe ,which you are surely going to love and enjoy. Lets get started!
- 3/4 cup whole Urad Dal (black matpe beans)
- 1/4 cup whole Red Massor Dal (split red lentil)
- 1/4 cup Rajmah (Red kidney beans)
- 1 large onion
- 7-8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 inches gingerroot ,finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- paste of 3 tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon desi ghee (clarified butter) or Butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hing (asafetida)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kastu ri methi
- 2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 cup fresh cream
- 1 cup fresh whole milk (optional)
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves ; finely chopped for garnishing
Thoroughly wash both of the lentils & rajmah.
Now cook lentils & rajmah together with salt & turmeric powder until cooked & soft. After cooking dal add milk and again cook for more 15 minutes on low flame.
Note:- Cooking time can be minimize with soaking of lentils & beans.
Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan. Add cumin seed, when it starts crackles ,add onions and fry until golden brown.
Add ginger, garlic and green chillies. cook them for 1-2 minutes.
Now add kasturi methi, red chilly powder, tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
Now add coriander powder & garam masala.Let them cook until masala starts leaving ghee.Now add cooked dal to the masala and mix it well on low flame.Add fresh cream.
let it simmer for 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Roti, Paratha, Naan or Rice.